Re: [SLUG] Off-Topic, Companion List

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 18:23:29 EDT

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 03:48:33PM -0400, Larry Brown wrote:

> Agreed that constant chatter is annoying, but I don't think a thread of
> of fluff every couple of weeks or so is going to kill anyone. Besides,
> if it were not for a touch of chat here and there, what kind of boring
> existance is that? I don't do chat. I don't use IM, I don't sign up
> for chat lists and for a good reason. I don't have the time to waste.
> But if a bit of comic relief comes my way from an obviously above
> average group of intellectuals (in most cases), why not.
>
> For the nature of the list, 5% fluff and 95% business seems good to me.
> Although being new to this list, it may be 50/50 and be well deserving
> of your criticism and deserving of more moderation.
>
> Just my take on things.

The original poster's criticism is valid. The overwhelming amount of
content in the last little while has been non-technical. I don't
particularly mind this myself as long as any tech questions get
answered, but there obviously are people who do. And given the list
guidelines, I can understand this.

There are only two ways the list can be handled. First, the admins can
be "list nazis" and smack down everyone who gets out of line. Obviously,
I don't like that strategy. Second, list members can mostly regulate the
list themselves, which means enforcing the list guidelines on themselves
and others without a lot of intervention from the list admins. I like
that better.

Now... did you hear the one about the Penguinista who... Oh yeah, sorry.
;-}

Paul