[SLUG] odd behavior from new router

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 26 2004 - 01:29:03 EDT

I got a Netgear NG814v2 router a few days ago, and networking hasn't
worked correctly from my machine (kernel 2.4.22, mostly Redhat 8) since.
I use the subnet 192.168.1.* for all devices on the LAN. My machine is
.11, the new router is .31, the old router was .25 . My servers (SMB,
SSH, HTTP, etc.) work correctly to other machines on the LAN, but I can't
access any machines in the outside by TCP (I can ping them, and traceroute
them, and name resolution works). Everything works fine for other
machines on the LAN.

I reboooted from the Gentoo 1.4 CD (kernel 2.4.20-xfs-r2), and that
worked, so it's not the port, NIC, cable, or a generic "Linux" thing. I
checked out /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}, and they're both empty. I should
populate them, once I get this working. I'm thinking something's blocking
replies which come from the new router, because it has an address
different from that of the old router, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

PISCES:  Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those idiots at
work say.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_