Re: [SLUG] Road Runner Garbage

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 03:31:23 EDT

--- bpreece1 <bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I don't know if I am the only one that uses NewsGroups but for years Road
> Runner has always been garbage.
> Now it's worse. None of the groups postings except for the ones on Road
> Runners service is conplete or stays on the threads.

A little known fact for most RR users is that you are not restricted to your
local RR's news server. For example, on my NewsBin application I pull both
from the Tampa Bay RR server (news-server.tampabay.rr.com) and from the Central
Florida (Orlando) one (news-server.cfl.rr.com). Usually what the Tampa Bay
server is missing the Central Florida one will have. As long as you're coming
in from an RR IP address most of them will let you in.

The other issue is that Usenet is more popular among "old timer" users rather
than newer ones. When's the last time you ever saw RR or any other ISP tout
its usenet capability in public? Most people I know around here (except for us
die-hards who remember when Usenet, IRC, and BBSs were *the* way of group
communication) don't even know what Usenet and Newsgroups are. Because of
that, many ISP's (I think RR included) put Usenet down toward the low end of
the priority list in terms of what gets the development bucks.

=====

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org
Web Site: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | Music Site: http://renaiture.iuma.com
AOL Instant Messenger: StevenBuehlerFL | Yahoo!: swbuehler | MSN: stevenwbuehler@msn.com | ICQ: 3565750