Re: [SLUG] Road Runner Garbage

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 04:11:49 EDT

Spake Steven Buehler on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 12:31AM -0700:
[snip]
> The other issue is that Usenet is more popular among "old timer" users rather
> than newer ones. When's the last time you ever saw RR or any other ISP tout
> its usenet capability in public? Most people I know around here (except for us
> die-hards who remember when Usenet, IRC, and BBSs were *the* way of group communication
                                      ^^^
IRC is still massively popular, especially amoung college-age people
such as myself. And no, I'm not meaning for warez and script kiddies.
I mean intelligent programmers and other geeks. I'm hardly an "old timer" user,
and there are perl programmers several years younger than I.
IRC is the primary form of group communication for an aweful lot
of people. Warez and number-speakers arn't such a problem.

IRC *is* the way of group communication for free software and open source programmers.

--- excerpt ---
21:21 <@bd_> Woot! haver-push is now working in a test setup here
21:21 <@Muffin> haver what?
21:21 <@bd_> It's a system for read-only mirroring of subversion repositories
21:22 <@bd_> Dylan dosen't want to run apache2, but I'm already running it - I
             can use this to push dump files over to my system, load them into
             a mirror db, and make it read-only accessible to the world
21:22 <@Muffin> apache2 has complex and semi-evil config files that I fail to understand.
21:23 <@bd_> loaded up to 105...
21:24 <@bd_> My test data only has up to 235 though. And I need to test some edge cases
             (out-of-order receipt, etc)
21:26 <@bd_> Aha, load successful

In proportion to normal ISP users, those that want things like usenet is
very small, however. "old timer" is a very bad misnomer, I think.
Perhaps you meant geek? :)

--
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior
spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive