Re: [SLUG] Sarge install -- was WMV & Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 01:37:46 EDT

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:24:04PM -0400, Chad Perrin wrote:

<snip>

> Update on circumstances: I installed on this machine without a sound card
> in
> it. I have since then shut it down (ooh, me blaspheme) to put an Ensoniq
> sound
> card into it. Is there any way to get it supporting sound now without
> reinstalling or recompiling the kernel?

I don't recall the distro you're using, but with most modern distros,
you should simply be able to fire up the machine and have the OS find
the hardware and configure it. If not, then check to see that the
appropriate modules/software were actually installed. It is possible
that you might have to tweak configs and such to make it work, depending
on the hardware and software installed. Bottom line is that you should
neither have to reinstall nor recompile for sound to work.

Paul