Re: [SLUG] Sendmail SNAFU / Postfix fixed

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 18:34:55 EDT

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:27:04PM -0400, Stephen Ames wrote:

> I can accept that explanation for the log entries. That would mean that
> postfix (and postfix directives) are calling the shots on mail acceptance
> and delivery. The next question becomes, who (or what) is calling the
> "sendmail" MTA and asking it to forward mail? Is there a way I can find out
> what process wrote those entries to the log?

Sendmail is the process that's writing them. What process is calling
sendmail is another issue. But if you have both installed, you need to
get rid of one. Otherwise you'll have no end of difficulty.
(Incidentally, on a Debian system it's exceptionally hard to even
install them both.)

However, I could be wrong about the whole thing. In which case, the
bigger issue becomes how come your sendmail is deferring connection to
what appears to be a local MTA.

Paul