Re: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 13:43:14 EDT

  I still wonder how, in the general case, to get cord
> through the conduit initially, but since that's not relevant here, it's
> not too important.

In my electrician days, I usually used two methods, depending on the
situation. You can use a ShopVac on one end, and a plastic baggie (called
a "mouse") tied to a pull string on the other end. Then just suck the
mouse and pull string through. This works best with PVC conduit, since it
is generally more airtight than the metal varieties.

You can also use a fish tape, like ths:
http://www.divineimages.com/prod/it32/303/100/FISH/TAPE/ELECTRICIAN/PULL/WIRES.htm

Just push the fish tape in one end till it pops out the other end. Not
near as fun as the ShopVac and mouse :)

Of course, you can always put a pull string in the conduit as you are
initially installing...

Doug