RE: [SLUG] I told them . . .

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 23:16:01 EDT

>>Too bad it was like having a really secure lead balloon. It was
interesting to look at, when it worked, but otherwise less than stellar. OS
X is a major leap forward, in terms of utility, scalability, applicability,
competitiveness, and stability. I really wouldn't know about older MacOS
security, because I never had any reason to pay attention to it. The most
secure vault in the world is useless if all it contains is costume jewelry.

Well....
It ran PhotoShop and Quark Xpress rather well. I'd hardly call it useless.
It's very rare to see any publisher use anything else. Both Windows and
Linux are way behind in professional publishing apps than even really old
Macs. I agree OS X is far better on most things, but it is not without it's
drawbacks.

But my point is that closed source isn't _always_ insecure, and open source
is not _automatically_ more secure. It's the review/fix process and a good
architecture that brings about stability. If MS opened their source, but
didn't accept fixed code from users, I doubt much would change. Even if
they did, could we really workaround some of the flaws in the architecture.

Ken Elliott

--
Chad Perrin (apotheon .com .net .org)
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/sig-block.html