Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: John Pedersen (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 13:46:18 EDT

Steve Szmidt wrote:

<...>

> The SP2 license on w2k, as many
> already know, is when they changed the EULA to give them insight into YOUR
> computer and the ability to put software into it without you being able to
> stop them. (Some settings make it look like you can stop them but it does
> not.)

Thanks, I did NOT know that.

I agree with your sentiments, entirely. I also try to use Linux
wherever possible, but for me it's just not possible to do without
Windows (yet). For example:

I use Nikon Capture, and this is a MAJOR piece of software that has no
equivalent in Linux.

Or in voice recognition, IBM ViaVoice or Dragon NaturallySpeaking....

On top of that, there are many devices that just do not have any
drivers for Linux: my Casio CD printer, Seiko Label printer USB
version, Olympus Digital voice recorder....

It's very frustrating, because every day I learn more and more how
much better the GNU/Linux system is, from the ground up, in hundreds
of ways that are not obvious.

Anyway, Steve, there's some feedback for your knowledgebase;-).

John