Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 16:47:01 EDT

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 02:20:27PM -0400, Steve Szmidt wrote:

<snip>

> How many here ONLY use or rely on Linux?
>
> I.e. you can have it but only use it strictly for amusement, and would
> be none
> the worse if it disappeared.

Hmm. Well, my wife uses Windows XP at work to run Dreamweaver, InDesign,
Freehand, PageMaker, and Photoshop, all of which are needed for our DTP
business, and none of which have adequate replacements under Linux.

I have one computer with Win98 on it at work to run Mailer's + 4
software, a mailing list processing application only available under
Windows. I use a KVM for that system, and that's the only thing I use
that system for. Otherwise, my main work computer, main home computer,
web server at home, file server at work, wife's home computer and
firewall at home are all Linux.

I'd have problems if Windows just disappeared, sad to say. Fortunately
though, my wife deals with most of the Windows crap.

Paul