Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Robin \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 12:55:50 EDT

Ken Elliott wrote:

>>>How many here ONLY use or rely on Linux?

I have done all my work on Linux since 1997, including day-to-day
online writing and editing plus writing two books, co-authoring one, and
editing three. I have used Windows and several OSes briefly while
writing articles or reviews that required their use in much the same way
a tech journalist who normally uses Windows might run Linux for a few
days to review a piece of Linux software.

Now the big BUT - I'm now engaged in a project that requires a
combination of video screen capture, webcam and other video inputs,
and simultaneous audio (narration) recording. Linux tools in this area
are poor and hard to use, while Windows ones are mature and easy to use.

 What I am using for this project, at least for the moment, is one
computer running Linux for the basic screen displays, with a Windows
computer acting as the video and audio input device and recorder, with
the Windows computer recording screen activity on the Linux computer
through VNC. I can do my post-production work with either OS; Linux
*video editing* tools are fine. The only "hole" in Linux for this work
is the lack of a competent screen recording program, something I might
be able to overcome by using the S-video output on my nVidia graphics
card and looping it back in through aan Osprey-100 video capture card or
through the IEEE1394 (firewire) output on my Sony TRV 9000 video camera.

Unfortunately, I'm on a tight deadline for the current project, so the
Linux/Windows solution will have to do for the moment. It apparently
takes a fair amount of dancing to get the nVidia S-video output working
under Linux and a similar amount to loop that input back into a Linux
computer for online editing, and I don't have time to play with all that
right now.

- Robin