RE: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 11:46:11 EDT

>>How many here ONLY use or rely on Linux?

I fall into the 'currently evolving' category.

I'm still tied to AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Rhino, Dreamweaver, Flash, Adobe
Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Pinnacle Studio on the client side.
You'll notice there's no Microsoft products in the list. I can run any OS
that can run these apps, but right now, only Windows runs it all. Mac OS X
runs all but the CAD software. Frankly, I could care less about the OS I
run, as long as it runs. My Win2K SP6 has been solid for over a year
without a single crash. I've only had 3 virus hits in 20+ years, largely
because of good practice, not anything to do with the OS. Even though I've
been a MS beta tester for years, I've stopped at W2K. No XP for me, thanks.
I've decided to move my efforts to Linux.

Linux-wise, I'm running SuSE 9.0 on one machine, 9.1 at work on a server,
and I'm building another box that will be running multiple flavors of Linux.
I'm trying to insure that all my code is as platform independent as
possible. All the code I've written in C over the last 20 years still runs,
on both Win and Unix/Linux. Nothing fancy, mind you. None of my old Basic
code can be compiled, not necessarily a bad thing.

>From an IT/Server prospective, Linux is pretty darn complete. I'm moving
all my server efforts toward Linux and will no longer do anything that
_requires_ Win Server. I won't exclude it, but open source lets me become
OS neutral.

Desktop-wise, if I had to move today, I'd be forced to the Mac. And I do
mean "forced". I wish we had a OS X - like API which would allow the Mac
Developers to move their apps to Linux easily.

Ken Elliott