Re: [SLUG] New System

From: James S (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 21:02:22 EDT

I just built 2 new computers, First one was a Internetishop kit bought from
Ebay, Athlon barton2600 - Biostar nforce2 MB - 512 pc2700DDR ram - 80G WD
HD - Nvidia GF4-440 64mb video - SB Audigy LS - Liteon CD-RW - MSi cd rom
drive - thermotake CPU cooler kit - 3 extra 80 mm fans - Alum case with 400
watt PS.
All for $940
Second puter was a kit bought direct from internetishop, Intel 3.0 - Foxconn
865 MB - 512 DDR 400 ram - 120 G WD HD - Nvidia FX5200 - SB Audigy LS - TDK
CD-RW - MSI cdrom drive - 2 extra fans( one a video card PCI slot fan) -
Alum case w 500 watt PS.
Total cost $1060

These kits were fleshed out using NewEgg for the most part, store sale HD's,
store sale ram.

Unless you transfer lots of data between computers the USB HD is not
practical. I've always thought it pretty easy to install a IDE drive as
slave to other computers. I think the IBM drive would be fine saving you
$50. I love Nvidia cards, the 128MB FX5200 cost me $70 while the 64MB GF
4-440 cost me $44. I dare say i could have built the athlon for $700 but i
wanted the fancy alum case, video card cooling fan, extra fans, thermotake
heatsink & 80 MM fan,and a few other extras i threw in it. Same thing for
the Intel because i just cant have a good puter, i must have a very,very
good puter.

I think this kit would be a good start for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52475&item=5115281943
&tc=photo

I am not trying to push the Internetishop on you but i have had good luck
with them.

AnandTech has a comparison on 64 bit here.

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2114

Which by the way, Sanctum ISP? I used them here in NPR before i switched to
cable at Brighthouse.

JamesS