Re: [SLUG] New System

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 01:38:58 EDT

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 09:02 pm, James S wrote:
> I just built 2 new computers, First one was a Internetishop kit
> bought from Ebay, Athlon barton2600 - Biostar nforce2 MB - 512
> pc2700DDR ram - 80G WD HD - Nvidia GF4-440 64mb video - SB Audigy LS
> - Liteon CD-RW - MSi cd rom drive - thermotake CPU cooler kit - 3
> extra 80 mm fans - Alum case with 400 watt PS.
> All for $940
> Second puter was a kit bought direct from internetishop, Intel 3.0 -
> Foxconn 865 MB - 512 DDR 400 ram - 120 G WD HD - Nvidia FX5200 - SB
> Audigy LS - TDK CD-RW - MSI cdrom drive - 2 extra fans( one a video
> card PCI slot fan) - Alum case w 500 watt PS.
> Total cost $1060

Thanks James,

Gives me an idea where to start. I would also want the newest and best
DVD & CDRW. But I want the fastest processor and ram that is now
available so that it will last me a couple of years. Will definetly
check out internetishop tomorrow. I am heavily leaning towards the
AMD.

> These kits were fleshed out using NewEgg for the most part, store
> sale HD's, store sale ram.
>
> Unless you transfer lots of data between computers the USB HD is not
> practical.
......<snip some>.. see my reply to Eben about why. Tell me if I am
wrong or not.

> I love Nvidia cards, the 128MB FX5200 cost me $70
> while the 64MB GF 4-440 cost me $44.

OK, seems you too are partial to the Nvidia. Why?, and what is a decent
all around 3D card that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

> I dare say i could have built
> the athlon for $700 but i wanted the fancy alum case, video card
> cooling fan, extra fans, thermotake heatsink & 80 MM fan,and a few
> other extras i threw in it.

Welllll......I am not particularly concerned with the aesthetics, but I
see the value in case, fans, and heatsinks, and will go for that,
especially if I go for a "fast hot" processor.

> Same thing for the Intel because i just
> cant have a good puter, i must have a very,very good puter.

Me too! If you're gonna do it- do it right.

> I think this kit would be a good start for you.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52475&item=511
>5281943 &tc=photo
>
> I am not trying to push the Internetishop on you but i have had good
> luck with them.

Will definitely check it out. Hope I will be lucky also.

> AnandTech has a comparison on 64 bit here.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2114

Will also check out with great interest also.

> Which by the way, Sanctum ISP? I used them here in NPR before i
> switched to cable at Brighthouse.

Yep, been with them for quite a few years now. Rob Marlowe, the owner is
a great guy and is Linux sympathetic and knowledegable. My loyalty to
Sanctum keeps me from jumping ship. ( Price is also a consideration)
Yes, I am in NPR. Hiddenlake.

Thanks again James. Will be back with more questions.