Re: [SLUG] Installing Verizon DSL on Linux

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 06:20:19 EDT

> For me at least, this has nothing to do with download speed. I'm
checking out
> the lag and buffering levels of the respective networks. Though I got
to say
> that today, DLS (for browsing the Internet) does not have one single
point of
> advantage, except less money out of your pocket. I should say in my
> experience as I'm sure some would disagree. But I think that's more
the
> exception than the rule.
>
> However I got a sneaky suspicion that when it comes to VoIP there may
be a
> slight advantage or higher buffering levels on DSL. When your data
get's
> buffered during normal Internet access, it does not really matter. But
if
> you're speaking to someone and the data is delayed while sitting in a
> buffer... Plus we're talking about both up and down speed.
>
> On DSL there's usually a lot less between you and the Internet
backbone.

> - --
> Steve

Are you using any kind of quantitative testing device or program to
check the latency and jitter and get real numbers? I'd be interested
in knowing how you're doing this.

You might want to test for time-of-day variation as well. I did a test
a couple of times using PingPlotter (a win app) to a gateway
machine of some sort, 5 hops away, inside the time-Warner network,
lasting 24 hours. This programs graphs the RTT. Overnight, the rtt
was a stable 17 ms with zero variation and zero loss. During
mid-evening the rtt was typically up to 70 to 90 ms (on the same path)
and the loss approached 20%. It's all users contending for
the same resource. And this was all INSIDE RR's net.

I would love to get DSL and test against my cable modem, but
DSL is not offered in my area since I am though the Oldsmar CO
and it's way over 18 kilofoot to them. And dial-up would give me the
route but not the bandwidth to test my test tools.

Bob