Re: [SLUG] Knoppix kernel panic?

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 22:42:16 EDT

On Monday 23 August 2004 10:11 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Bob Stia wrote:
> > On Monday 23 August 2004 06:09 am, Robert Foxworth wrote:
> > > Knoppix 3.3 works with no problem on these machines, as do
> > > others such as Adios, FreesBIE, Kanotix, STD, FIRE, Phlak,
> > > SUSE live-eval 9.1
> > >
> > > So, is DELL considered non-standard hardware? :-)
> >
> > Wellllll....I don't have a Dell. It is a box I built up over the
> > years changing components as needed or wanted. The processor is an
> > AMD K6-450 Board is an Award??? I think!, with via chipsets.
> > Together about 5 years old. Running SuSE 8.2 with all of the
> > latest updates. Really should not be any unusual driver
> > requirements/whatever.
> >
> > Hmmmm...don't know how I would be able to get what the kernel
> > prints before it crashes, being as how it is booting from a CDRom.
> > Where would that log be???
>
> No log. If my guess is correct, it's crashing before / is mounted
> (and hence before any logger is started); not to mention that there's
> no persistent place to write the logs since it's running from a CD.
>
> If there are too few lines on the screen to see what's just above the
> oops, try shift-pgup and shift-pgdn. If that doesn't work, boot with
> "vga=ask" and use a higher-resolution mode (like 80x60).

Thanks Eben,

Will give a try to your suggestions.

> > Anybody want to trade a 3.3 Knopppix CDRom for a 3.4??
>
> I am downloading the Knoppix 3.3 ISO. Hard to find; I tried the
> listed mirrors in North America unsuccessfully, and ended up going to
> The Netherlands. Let me know if you need it burnt.
>
> There is 3.6 also; do you have a reason to think that one is better
> than the other?

No, The CD I have is 3.4. Just thinking about what Bob Foxworth said.
If this doesn't work out eventually, maybe I will take you up on that
offer. Hmmmm, wonder if kernel version has anything to do with it.
Running 2.4.20-4GB. Gonna go check out the Knoppix page.

Bob S.