Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux - part two

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 13:10:57 EDT

> In strictly, precisely accurate terms, my view is this:
<snip>
> Before anyone starts quoting the law at me, I'm aware that
> copyright law disagrees with my stated position here. I speak
> in ethical, not legal, terms.

Hopefully quoting Thomas Jefferson doesn't relegate this to
the political list, but...

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all
others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking
power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively
possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it
is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one,
and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it."

He goes on to claim copyrights are monopolies that "produce
more embarrassment than advantage to society."

An interesting read, whatever your views:
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/a1_8_8s12.html

~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!