Re: [SLUG] Fedora Core 2 Install from HD Problem

From: Jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 15:13:00 EDT

On Thursday 02 September 2004 03:50 pm, Eben King wrote:
> Sorry for piggybacking, but I don't have the original email any more.
>
> > Background:
> > I have a very old computer that is currently running Fedora
> > Core 1. The computer is a 300mhz PII with 128megs of ram. It
> > does not boot from either the 100mb scsi zip drive nor the scsi
> > cd. Just the floppy and and 2 6gig hard drives.
>
> Are there floppy images on the CD? If you can dual-boot into Windows or
> DOS, there might be "how to boot this CD from Windows" (involving
> LOADLIN.EXE) directions too.
>
> When I wanted to install Mandrake 7.2 onto a too-big HD (>528M, 486) in a
> machine with no CD, I ended up transplanting the HD.

 Ouch! You did that the hard way. All you needed was a small DOS partition,
~10 MB or so. There is a batch file in Mandrake, in the /dosutils (maybe it
was /dosutils/autoboot/) that would start the setup with loadlin. I had to do
that long ago with a Thinkpad that couldn't boot from the cdrom, and had no
external floppy drive.

Jeff