Re: [SLUG] Fedora Core 2 Install from HD Problem

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:45:20 EDT

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Jeff wrote:

> On Thursday 02 September 2004 03:50 pm, Eben King wrote:
> >
> > When I wanted to install Mandrake 7.2 onto a too-big HD (>528M, 486) in a
> > machine with no CD, I ended up transplanting the HD.
>
> Ouch! You did that the hard way. All you needed was a small DOS partition,
> ~10 MB or so. There is a batch file in Mandrake, in the /dosutils (maybe it
> was /dosutils/autoboot/) that would start the setup with loadlin. I had to do
> that long ago with a Thinkpad that couldn't boot from the cdrom, and had no
> external floppy drive.

It had no CD drive at all. I suppose I could have whipped up a boot-root
floppy that NFS-mounted the CD and installed from there (if that's even
possible). Is your method applicable with no CD drive? (This is entirely
academic, as that machine has been decommissioned.)

                  "God does not play dice" -- Einstein
          "Not only does God play dice, he sometimes throws
          them where they can't be seen." -- Stephen Hawking