Re: [SLUG] Xchat for windows no longer free!!!

From: Knowles Burrell (kburrell3@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 20:42:14 EDT

>From what it sounds like he is going to release the source and if you
wish to compile it it is still free. Or do I need to actually read the
rest of the forum entries? I didn't get into those very deep just read
the FAQ. If he is releasing the sources then he shouldn't be violating
any GPL or LGPL (or any other license that might be used) right? I
dint think its a smart move to start charging for this software when
it has such a large share in the open source market.
The only real issue I see with him charging for it is this:
Q. Does registration entitle me to technical support or a warranty?
A. We ask you to evaluate the product for free for 30 days to make
sure it suites your needs. At this time, we cannot offer support or a
product warranty, however, we will try to help with all email
questions. You may also find good information on the public forums.

If I am going to pay you for a product I expect to have support. He
does say they will try to answer email questions, but that is not the
same as saying "Yes You will be supported for the product you bought"

Personally though the windows version sucks in my opinion so it no
skin off my back if he decides to start charging for it or drops the
windows version completely. It is always nice to have software that
you can use on either OS but not necessary.