[SLUG] Re: Bootable Linux Floppy -- the legacy 16-bit PC BIOS is the problem

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 21:37:48 EDT

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 21:14, Chuck Hast wrote:
> I wish I knew more about this.stuff, it is frustrating.

Booting in the legacy 16-bit PC BIOS always is.

Compared to various firmwares out there on various architectures, the PC
just sux. Things like the PC's PXE are native to UNIX workstations, and
have been since the '80s.

Intel actually came up with a good firmware replacement for IA-64
Itanium. AMD has the chance to do the same.

Unfortunately, it looks like they can't ignore the money Microsoft
throws at them for their "legacy free" (i.e., hardware tied to a
specific Windows version) firmware. Hence why newer PC notebooks are
more proprietary than Apple iBooks/PowerBooks these days.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community