Re: [SLUG] Re: Bootable Linux Floppy -- copying is easy, booting in another matter ...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 21:14:06 EDT

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:41:59 -0400, Larry Brown
<larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com> wrote:
> Yes, move all the files except the syslinux binary file (I think it is
> syslinux.bin off hand). Look at the man for syslinux, it creates the
> binary file when you execute the syslinux command for your card. The
> binary for one drive will not work on another. So any time you change
> to a different size CF you will need to run syslinux on the new card.
> Then run syslinux on the CF. Your truncation problem is because you are
> mounting the CF as fat16. You want to format it with fat16 which you
> will get with mkdosfs. However, when you mount it, you want to run
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdX1 /mount/point. Of course where X="the correct
> correct hard drive". The vfat will prevent truncation.

I have it starting to boot, but it gets to a poit where it is trying to load
floppyfw and it fails.I am trying to figure out where I screwed up and
correct it. It also fails where it is calling for /dev/fd0 Since It is now
dev/hda1 I changed that one, but it still fails.

I wish I knew more about this.stuff, it is frustrating.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;