Re: [SLUG] Re: Bootable Linux Floppy -- copying is easy, booting in another matter ...

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 08:11:24 EDT

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:20:05 -0400, Larry Brown
<larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I've been away. It looks like you have a pretty successful start
> here. The last statement is that you are booting to sh. It just looks
> like you might need to add some nodes in your dev directory. Make sure
> that when you are looking at what files you need to be present for a
> successful boot that you are in fact mounting initrd.img as loopback and
> dealing with the folders and files inside of it. They are the ones that
> should be making up your file system in ram when you have booted. It
> looks like it is wanting the /dev/ttyX files to at least get you to a
> prompt you can work from. Email me directly and I'll help get you to a
> good development point.
Larry,
That is as far as I have got. I have tried to figure out exactly what I need
to do in order to get on with the boot process but I am missing something.

When I boot the machine, I see both the line
Booting HD1/1 followed by the periods that are blanked out as it is booted
Then I see it print out
the SYSLIINUX message and the floppyfw message,
that that point I get;
Loadin initrd.gz
Ready
At this point I start getting the familiar screen of stuff starting
and loading on
most linux installs and it goes well up to the point where is supposed to be
mounting the media. On the floppy it says /dev/fd0, I had changed it
to /dev/hda1
that point is where it fails with the block device error message.

I have now changed it from hda1 to hd1/1 (that is what it is calling the CF card
when it is booting) and I now get in the failed message "no such file
or directory"
so it would appear that if I can just get beyond that point I will be
in good shape.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;