Re: [SLUG] Re: AT&T Testing Linux as Windows Replacement

From: Robin \ (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 20:03:36 EDT

>It looks like the current testing is a _desktop_ consideration for its
>70,000 PCs. I don't want to argue, and I'm trying to be nice. But I'm
>kinda shocked when I see Linux enthusiasts not realizing just how far
>Linux adoption has _already_ gone. This isn't about just servers
>anymore, we're talking widespread adoption on the enterprise _desktop_.

Note that it's just testing, with a decision not anticipated until late
2005.

Note too that saying "Boo! Linux!" to a Microsoft rep can lead to large
discounts, especially when you talk about 70,000 desktops and you're the
highest-paid CIO in the U.S.

Let's not jump up and down, yelling "Oh, boy! A big win for Linux!"
quite yet.

Except Logan -- as long as I have time to set lighting and white-balance
my video camera first.

- Robin