Re: [SLUG] Re: AT&T Testing Linux as Windows Replacement

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 20:23:06 EDT

Logan Tygart wrote:
> Not sure which smart aleck remark to use so you can have a choice:
> 1. No, but it sets off alarms.
> 2. Isn't that a 32 bit virus cured by installing Linux?

It's frustrating enough to go to largely Microsoft-centric clients sites
and try to break their assumptions about Windows, Linux and various
products. I do my best. I wear my MCSE shirts, I flash all of my
_current_ Microsoft credentials (as well as the other 20 from 6 other
companies), the various, major Fortune 100 projects I've been on and
finally proceed to "break down" the "marketing" into basic
"technologies" and what things actually do.

But what really drives me bonkers is when Linux enthusiasts themselves
assume that Linux hasn't infiltrated every company. Heck, even
Microsoft outsources major services and capabilities to companies that
are primarily Linux.

I remember being in on a recent project where IBM, Microsoft, Novell and
other companies were pitching ideas. I was brought in as an independent
consultant to "break down" everything for the client. At one point, a
set of correspondence was going back and forth with Microsoft over
single sign-on (SSO) where I just had to "cut it loose." I directly
asked someone "off-the-record," "well, what are you using out at Aikami
to do this?"

After denial after denial, I finally got some admissions. In the end,
they were wondering where I got my info. It's really hard to come by --
you'll _never_ find this in the media because it means certain and
costly legal action by Microsoft against any contractor who discloses
it. But in the end, when the client decided to go with Microsoft, my
"insider information" on how much "integration" Microsoft has with Sun,
Java and Linux internally will benefit the integration of their
solutions at this client.

The common assumption is that Microsoft doesn't use what it doesn't
create. The reality is that Microsoft is an investment company that
outsources everything, including it's own IT capabilities. At most, it
maintains "technology fronts" for PR, like Best Buy, which are actually
case studies of how poor their own technology actually works. But it's
very hard to come by this information -- NDAs and threats to pull ads
from the media keep it under wraps.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community