Re: [SLUG] Re: AT&T Testing Linux as Windows Replacement

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 20:28:41 EDT

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 20:03, Robin "Roblimo" Miller wrote:
> Note that it's just testing, with a decision not anticipated until late
> 2005.

Correct. But it is regarding the desktop, not the server. Linux
enthusiasts should believe that Linux has not already penetrated the
server in the overwhelming majority of Fortune 500 companies.

And they do their damnest to cover it. Especially when the recent, even
if almost laughable, "indemification" issue in the air.

> Note too that saying "Boo! Linux!" to a Microsoft rep can lead to large
> discounts, especially when you talk about 70,000 desktops and you're the
> highest-paid CIO in the U.S.

Yep. Many companies have done this, and will continue to do so.

> Let's not jump up and down, yelling "Oh, boy! A big win for Linux!"
> quite yet.

I wasn't. But I was saying it's centered on the corporate desktop, not
the server. That's the new battleground. Microsoft's TCO studies
aren't cutting it because they leave a lot of considerations out.

So while I do agree a lot of these are "boo! we want discounts," that's
getting old for Microsoft really quick. The games will continue for a
few more years, but there are a lot of integrations you don't ever hear
of. And these key integrations are what is driving many others.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community