[SLUG] RE: Need adapter for SUN SPARC monitor -- why should this benecessary?

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 12:19:17 EDT

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 11:39, Ken Elliott wrote:
> I checked Sun's site and that seemed to be what they were saying about the
> product. From what you say, it would appear that Sun doesn't do a very good
> job of describing the product. I don't have time to research every detail
> about technology that doesn't pertain to my missions. Perhaps you should
> suggest to Sun that they do a better job in describing their vision.

Agreed. Sorry for my 'tude. A lot of Linux people are currently
beating up Sun, and they don't deserve it.

Especially on the Java re-license by Microsoft, which is a "developer"
issue (despite "competition" in the application/system space, even
competiting "developer" tool companies have to work together).
That has spun thousands of conspiracy theories on the app/system end,
totally unrelated to any "developer" considerations.

GNU/Linux owes much of its current existence and capabilities to Sun
standards, code and other "open" contributions.

> I'd have to disagree. A 5-axis mill is a true 3D output device, as is a
> stereo lithography system. Most such systems I've used could more
> accurately be called a 3D simulation. And true 3D 6-axis-of-freedom input
> systems exist.

But they don't have an underlying "universal subsystem/API." For
Win32-GDI, X11, Aqua, etc..., they have to be "hacked on" to work in an
"existing environment." It's like the devices are a _superset_ of what
the system is capable of.

Looking Glass reverses that, it now offers a _full_API_ for such
devices.

> I would suggest that if you want to discuss CAD, you should consider
> researching the subject. The conversion of the market from 2D drafting to
> 3D is far from over, and is a hotly debated issue among CAD professionals.

No offense, but I'm a degreed engineer (with 2 semmesters of 2D/3D
design fundamentals) who has been working on AutoCAD since age 9 (grew
up in a civil engineering household), and spent 4 years in the
mechanical/aerospace field (CAM) and 2 years in the semiconductor field
(EDA).

The main reason I even got to work with the NT 3.1 beta back in
1992-1993 was because I was at the _largest_end-user_installation_ of
Bentley Systems Microstation (PBS&J). Microstation was one of the first
2 native Win32 applications (yes, circa 1992!).

Drafting is _not_ CAD, it's just one aspect. Don't forget about CAM and
EDA.

> In a nutshell, the vendors think the users are stupid and the users are mad
> about the severe limitations of pretty much all the systems.

Which systems? 98% of the opinions I've seen are on Autodesk products.

Autodesk and Bentley System products may dominate the traditional civil
engineering and technology landscape, but Pro/E and a few others
dominate the mechanical engineering and technology landscape. Pro/E
makes more sense to me as a 3D "CAD/CAM" platform, but most people have
never used it.

> While you can find some who have great success with 3D CAD, you find many
> more with horror stories of missed deadlines and failed projects. But
> this is another topic for another forum.

Pro/E seems to do fine for the companies I've deployed it at. The only
time I've seen such a mess is when people try to throw add-ons to
AutoCAD to do the same. They should just go Pro/E IMHO.

That's just my opinion. I've only supported AutoCAD, Microstation,
Pro/E and a view "xTRAN" type CAD/CAM programs extensively, plus the
common suite of EDA tools (from Cadence, Mentor Graphics/Modeltech,
Synopsys, Viewlogic, etc...).

> This will be my last post on this subject. I consider Brian to be a very
> intelligent and well informed expert. But it appears my replies have come
> across to him as an attack.

I have a tendency to "cope a 'tude" sometimes.
You're getting my "reverse-backlash" against Sun in the Linux world.
A lot of people hate Sun for all the wrong reasons.
You got a taste of my distain for this, my apologies, you didn't deserve
it.

There are a lot of "conspiracy theories" about Sun right now.
Most are based on Sun's re-license of Java to Microsoft combined with
the fact that Red Hat is Sun's primary competitor in the server space.
Most of them pick'n choose their arguments, not recognizing the _full_
"context" of Sun's moves and alignments.
Sun has many different technologies and products in different units, and
many are independent of each other.

I respect your viewpoints as intelligent and informed, and I'm sorry if
my responses were demeaning, suggesting otherwise.

> I'm sorry to everyone on this list for wasting the bandwidth of this non-
> Linux topic.

Since CAD/CAM/EDA is a _major_ Linux application discussion, and Linux
is _the_ prototype platform for Sun's Looking Glass technologies, this
is very much Linux.

If everyone was nice and sang about their favorite distro, that wouldn't
be a Linux list I'd want to be on. Nothing would get accomplished. I'm
used to working in engineering teams, and that means sometimes a few of
us go behind closed doors and "have it out" with our opinions and
views. Stuff we wouldn't want management to see -- but stuff management
can appreciate as long as they don't (because things get done).

The equivalent of that for a LUG is for us to take it off-list. Because
sometimes the "weaker stomaches" can't stand for people having heated
debates. ;-ppp

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community