[SLUG] Mounting

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 11:52:04 EDT

Hi All

In the last Dunedin Paul was so gracious to help with my crashed laptop.
Thanks to Paul I can now boot the computer into root and as root I can
send/receive email which will be the easy to transfer the data I am trying to
recover.

For those of you who have forgotten, didn care, or did not read the previous
set of e-mail I crashed a Mandrake 9.1 system by visiting some web site which
apparently had a java script which trashed /home. Attempts by myself to
recover by reinstalling the system failed with such attempts finally
destroying system boot. Paul was so gracious as to modify the boot such that
system now boots directly but /home is still obviated.

Currently I am stilltrying to extract critical file data from a directory I
called Common_Data.

As originally set up partitions were as follows per cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda5 /home/trunk/Common_Dara vfat
     iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 /home ext3
/dev/hda9 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda10 /home/trunk/Linux_Data reiserfs notail,noatime 1 2
/dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

The following attempts were made by Paul and Myself to mount
/home/trunk/Common_Data
First Paul attempted to mount this partition under /mnt/data and then I
attempted to mount it under /mnt/Common_Data by use of the following command:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/data
mount -t auto /dev/hda5 /mnt/data
mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/Common_Data
mount -t auto /dev/hda5 /mnt/Common_Data

The following error message was received:
Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda5, or too many
mounted file systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to proceed to mount this partition so
that the data may be extrated.

Thanks
Frank