Re: [SLUG] GUI development tool

From: Christopher Hotchkiss (christopher.hotchkiss@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 11:55:35 EDT

There are a TON of gui toolkits out there.

Gtk, used with c, c++, perl, python, ... many language bindings
Gtk#, used with C#,VB.NET, gui builder is Glade. Comes with Monodevelop
Qt, used with c++,
Swing, used with java, warning SLOW
WxWindows, used with just about everything, very crossplatform

They are all easy to work with, it just takes two things to do so.

1. A good project, ie. one that is really suited to a GUI.
2. A lot of time, it takes a lot to get used to the event based
programming model that is the gui. Personally I find WxWindows very
easy but thats just me. It all comes down to your needs and your
experience.

A word of wisdom, OO is the easiest way to go, and perl is the easiest
of them all. It just comes down to which documentation you wish to
sift through.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:08:28 -0400, jcopenha <jcopenha@typedef.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 10:32, Bill Glidden wrote:
>

> > I want to develop a GUI application under Linux. Being new to GUI
> > development, I'm looking for input on tools, libraries, etc.
>
> The two dominant GUI toolkits are GTK+ (GNOME) and Qt (KDE). The GTK+
> toolkit is C, there are multiple wrappers and language bindings to do it
> in C++,python, etc. I believe Glade is used as the GUI designer for
> this. Qt is all C++ with a precompiler called 'moc'. I imagine there
> are other language bindings for it also. For this there is Qt
> Designer. I haven't used either so I can't really say which is easier,
> but that should get you started.
>
> Then there is always Mono and Gtk#, but I don't know of a visual GUI
> designer for it.
>
> Jason

Christopher Hotchkiss
(813)960-9273