[SLUG] Re: Thinking ahead -- power requirements, simple config management, centralized home directories

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 03:58:28 EST

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 03:17, Eben King wrote:
> Many people get way much more power supply than they truly need. I wish I
> had a clamp-on AC ammeter.

The problem is that not all power supplies are created equal.

In some cases, to get the required current over 3.3+5V, you have to get
a larger power supply.

Furthermore, since many power supplies provide woefully inadequate
current over the 3.3+5V lines, many mainboards have gone to tapping the
12V lines, with the corresponding inefficiency in conversion.

Lastly, cheaper power supplies tend to be more inefficient, especially
as they get warmed up as well as older.

> Careful with /etc. Some parts of it refer to files or directories that
> might be in different places under 9.2 than they were under 8.2. Also,
> parts of it refer to the hardware, which is different. Many files will
> need manual attention.

Agreed.

Hence why putting any file you modify under version control is golden.
You don't have to get formal and setup a CVS repository or anything.

Just the next time you go to edit a file, do a:
  ci -l filename

First, give it a initial message and then edit it. When you are done,
run the same command, comment on what you changed, and do that after any
other change you make. That way backing up your configuration files is
as simple as backing up the ",v" files.

I've been doing this since the mid-'90s and it has saved my butt
royally. Not only when someone has questioned a change, but I also get
to say to other admins, "okay, who changed lines X on date Y" when
someone else didn't check-in their changes. It's not formal
configuration management, but it's an easy way to get half of the
typical CM benefits without doing all the overhead/formality.

Of course, if you want to get formal, then throw CVS or Subversions at
it, with formal procedures, etc... Otherwise, "ci -l" does the job.
Man, again, I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times a simple
"rlog" later has saved my butt.

> Make sure you adjust owner IDs appropriately. 'find /home -uid <old user
> ID> -print0 | xargs -0 chown <login name>' and likewise with gid for uid
> and .<default group> for <login name> . That's off the top of my head;
> make sure I'm right. That kind of PITA is why I reinstall rarely.

Exactomundo, although that's why I use a network fileserver with some
sort of <buzzword>single sign-on (SSO)<buzzword> approach to centralize
home directories.

Sadly enough I still liken to "flat directories" like NIS, although
while using Kerberos for authentication, and NFS for the network
filesystem, although using SFS for certificate/encryption. I've done
some OpenLDAP+Kerberos integration, largely for Samba 3 installs, but I
haven't really gotten into mega-schema hacking or major configuration.

I'm kinda glad I didn't get into it. Red Hat will be releasing Netscape
Directory Services as GPL on April 30, 2005, and I see no reason why it
won't "take over." It's already preferred for major installations of
tens of thousands of distributed users. I figure the timing will
co-incide with the initial development of Fedora Core 5, the new ".0"
revision in the "CL5" series (which will map to RHEL5).

--
Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith@ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community