RE: [SLUG] Thinking ahead

From: Mike Dittmeier (mike@bluecrabtech.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 07:09:31 EST

I would definitely do a fresh install. Too many programs are compiled just
for the 64 bit vs. 32 bit.
You will probably have too many issues to deal with doing an upgrade.
1. Any .*rc files in your home directory will need to be verified after you
restore home to make sure they point to the right path or executable name.
2. I had issues going to the new version of evolutions. All files were
stored in the evolution folder making for easy upgrade. Now the are stored
in the .evolution folder (hidden) so I thought I had lost my email and
contacts. A little manual effort brought everything back.
3. you many have to download new versions of 3rd party software to work with
the 64 bit kernel.

Hope this is a good start

Mike (Ditt) Dittmeier, MCSE, RHCT