Re: [SLUG] Thinking ahead

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 2004 - 03:17:12 EST

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Bob Stia wrote:

> You all may recall that a few weeks ago I asked about hardware, prices, etc.
> for a new machine I wanted to build. After much investigation, searching and
> so on, I settled on a "barebones" set up from Monarch. New case, lots of
> fans,460 w PS, an AMD Athlon 64 +3500 on an MSI K8T MB and a gig of ram, a
> new Nec DVD +-RW/CDRW and a Sony 32x52 CDRW, plus a "break-in" testing for 3
> days, 2 year warranty and shipping for $950. Anxiously awaiting it's arrival
> about the middle of next week.

Many people get way much more power supply than they truly need. I wish I
had a clamp-on AC ammeter.

> I am going to try and restore my /home some of /user/local/ some of /etc/

Careful with /etc. Some parts of it refer to files or directories that
might be in different places under 9.2 than they were under 8.2. Also,
parts of it refer to the hardware, which is different. Many files will
need manual attention.

> Already running KDE 3.3 which I think comes with 9.2, so maybe a
> complete restore of /home will work ??

Make sure you adjust owner IDs appropriately. 'find /home -uid <old user
ID> -print0 | xargs -0 chown <login name>' and likewise with gid for uid
and .<default group> for <login name> . That's off the top of my head;
make sure I'm right. That kind of PITA is why I reinstall rarely.

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read. Q: Why is top-posting wrong? -- from lots42@xxx.com