Re: [SLUG] the golden rule of discussion can go to hell Bryan J smith

From: Mark Banschbach (mrbear37@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 11:31:14 EST

Friends,

  I think the main point that needs to be placed here
is not whether or not someone follows a thread header
or not, the issue here for me, is wether or not we
speak kindly and with charity or not.

  I have been part of SLUG and part of this email list
for a number of years.. ( yes the rumors of my demise
were greatly exaggerated :)

  I have found that by and large, the majority of
folks who are involved in SLUG and in the open source
community as a whole are basically downright nice
folks. THey are giving of their time and their
talents, and of their knowledge to help each other
out.

  Then there comes the occasion there we get people
who forget the spirit of the group and persist in
using language and behaviors which fall out of this
norm. It is disturbing to everyone when we engage in
name calling and finger pointing. Most folks want to
listen to that about as much as they would like to
listen to a lecture on the economical value of
marshland grasses. ( figuratively speaking if there
are any economists amongst us :).

  It is unfortunate that Paul has found the necessity
of being drug into these little cat fights simply by
virtue of the fact that he has volunteered his time
and efforts in the name of the Open Source ventures.
In my humble opinion he should be granted a medal for
the restraint he needs to excercise for having to put
up with the silliness that pops up from time to time.

  Folks, aside from the fact that the hallmark of the
Open Source community is charity, for the benefit of
the group as a whole and for the benefit of the Open
Source community as a whole, The next hallmark should
be professionalism. Does that mean you should have to
wear a tie to meetings, no. It does however mean that
you should conduct your behaviour in such a way that
you dont scare a newbie off the list by the behaviour
you do exibit.

Getting off the soapbox...

Mark