Re: [SLUG] Wireless Broadband

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 17:35:28 EST

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Pete Theisen wrote:

> This doesn't work at a distance because the folks telling me what to do
> can't see the error messages. Sometimes you can copy/paste them, but,
> heck, the meeting is this week.

If you can, bring a printout showing your commands and the errors.

> Knoppix is interesting, but the (way old) version I have didn't work.
> There are most likely newer ones but on dial-up I have no prayer of
> getting them.

Sometimes they give away newer versions at the meetings.

> I used to work fine in DOS, but Linux commands run on and on and on like
> the energizer bunny.

If I find myself doing a sequence of commands several times, I make a
script or alias for it, and use that (much shorter) version.

> You get one letter the wrong case and the whole thing is toast.

Up arrow, edit, enter, until you get it right. I often misread numbers,
which is especially bad when I run 'ps' or 'top' and find that 12345 is
the process to kill, so I do it, and nothing (obvious) happens so I
re-read and its actual PID is 12354. Oops. (What did I kill instead?)
So typoes aren't a "newbie" thing necessarily.

You'll get familiar with how commonly-used commands are spelled. Make
liberal use of the "tab" key. Assume lower-case until proven wrong.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Derived from Robert Heinlein