Re: [SLUG] Linux as print server for windows

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 18:09:53 EST

On Saturday 13 November 2004 01:10 pm, Bill Glidden wrote:
> Every time I see a question of the type "Can Linux do this..?" the answer
> is always yes (yay Linux), so I am already assuming it's possible to use a
> Linux box as a print server. The question is what, if anything, do I need
> on my windows box to let it use the Linux print server? My printer can do
> parallel or Ethernet, is there any advantage to using one connection over
> the other?

I've setup a few samba boxes as windows printservers in business environment.
I.e. users are uneducated and cannot handle any change or problem easily.
Samba works very well. In the print server I have one or two parallel ports
with printers. Should work just as well with USB printers. (I have that at
home.)

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.