Re: [SLUG] Sarasota Meeting: If you attend, read this.

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 00:57:16 EST

Pete Theisen wrote:

> I was unaware of the forum having this information and I will check this
> out BUT you missed my point. I have served as volunteer IT guy for a
> non-profit for some 10 years and in this capacity I have installed
> Windows from 3.1 through XP, uh, SEVERAL times. Windows setup *is* point
> and click. Your book title implies or states that MEPIS is also point
> and click. Well, it's not. Even after all the work by bona-fide pros
> last night I still don't have sound!

In my experience, MEPIS is indeed point and click. It's an easier
install than Windows, even. What you seem to have run into is a problem
with hardware compatibility. It happens sometimes. It's too bad that
it happened to you.

I have one computer here that will not allow me to install Windows XP or
any version of Linux or BSD that installs a GUI by default. Debian,
Slackware, and Windows 2000 will all install on it. It's a hardware
compatibility issue, not an indictment of MEPIS, Knoppix, and FreeSBIE
(very much point and click style installs). Nor is it an indictment of
Windows XP Professional (though I have enough to offer on the subject of
Windows XP to scald the ears off a sailor). It's simply a side-effect
of the truism that compatibility issues exist for everything.

Trying to blame Robin for your bad luck helps nothing.

--
Chad