Re: [SLUG] unix virus

From: paddy (paddy@ij.net)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 08:20:30 EST

Chad Perrin wrote:
> UNIX virus
>
> YOU HAVE NOW RECEIVED THE UNIX VIRUS
>
> This virus works on the honor system:
>
> If you're running a variant of unix or linux, please forward this message
> to everyone you know and delete a bunch of your files at random.
>
> --
>
> But seriously, folks:
> I don't recall this appearing in any list emails, but it's possible I'm
> being unknowingly redundant. In any case, I was wondering if anyone
> here has heard of, heard about, used, or otherwise has comments on
> ClamAV for Unix.
>
> http://www.clamav.net/
>
> Yes, there is a Windows variant available. I'd be interested in hearing
> about experiences with that, as well. I'm going to test this on a Win2k
> system in the near future as a possible AV solution to recommend to
> clients on Windows systems. That's sort of tangential to my actual
> purpose in emailing the list about ClamAV, though.

Yes, I'm trying to install clamav on an Openbsd 3.6 box w/ postfix,
spamassassin,etc; as per http://www.flakshack.com/anti-spam/wiki/index.php

I installed clamav-0.80 according to the instructions contained in the
"FairlySecureAnitVirusWiki" on a brand new box with OpenBSD 3.6.

Everything went well till I got the part where I Update the virus
database. Upon issuing the command from the howto i.e.;

      chroot -u amavisd /var/amavisd /usr/bin/freshclam --log-verbose

the program complained it could not load, one by one the library files
contained in /var/amavisd/usr/lib. I then located each of these
librarys, copied them to /var/amavisd/user/lib and received no more
complaints about that for the time being..

The next segment of this saga was to run the chroot command again as
above and this time the program informed me that it "Can't change dir to
  /var/clamav.

I'm currently looking for help and will report as soon as a fix is
explained to me. I just hope this is NOT a process of elimination, line
by line in the code.

Paddy