Re: [SLUG] Solaris 10 to be Open-Sourced

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 12:15:48 EST

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 23:53, Vijay V. Swami wrote:
> I just like the fact that Sun is adopting the RedHat/Fedora model of
> OS deployment.

I wouldn't go that far, at least not yet. Let's see how much Sun GPLs.
Red Hat GPL's everything they do, Sun doesn't, at least not yet. ;->

I'm sure we'll see some SCSL and other licenses in there.

> They really want everyone out there to run their OS, and for the
> community to embrace it like it has Linux in hopes that more will
> join in with developmental efforts.

Given the amount of development Sun has given to Linux, and to UNIX
in general before that, I think this is the start of a great
relationship. But I'm still interested in how they are going to dodge
the "we just licensed UNIX(R) from SCO" bit. I'm sure SCO wouldn't
simply let Sun GPL their Solaris kernel in their new license.

> I have it running on a test machine, also in a VM on my laptop.
> Anyone else playing with it?

Nope. Just up through Solaris 9, and only on SPARC, for me as of late.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux