[SLUG] Re: cA0s Linux

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 12:21:57 EST

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 10:25, Jim Wildman wrote:
> No it isn't. Just to mention 2 things.
> there is no supported 2.6 kernel for RH3
> there is no supported SELinux for RH3

Red Hat Linux 8, 9 and Fedora Core 1 correspond _directly_ to Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3. That's why I keep calling Fedora Core 1 a ".2"
revision, and Fedora Core 2 a ".0" revision.

Fedora Core 2 and 3 (and, most likely, 4 correspond) _directly_ to Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 4. In fact, not only has RHEL 4 been in internal
Alpha for a bit with kernel 2.6, but the recent RHEL 4 Beta release was
what really pushed Red Hat to finalize what the exact SELinux settings
would be.

In fact, I predicted the package versions (GCC/GLibC) in Fedora Core 3 /
Red Hat Enterprise Linux _verbatim_ over 6 months ago, based on Fedora
Core 2's release and what was in development. It's easy to predict
this. I'd point you to my unofficial FAQ, but Phil's server is
currently admist migration (after a failed mainboard).

This is also why I'm pushing the Fedora Project team to switch back to a
X.Y numbering with Fedora Core 5[.0]. Because Fedora Core 5 will be the
first ".0" release for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux