Re: [SLUG] is it just me?

From: Austin Theen (austin@austintheen.com)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 16:33:19 EST

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 15:39 -0500, Chad Perrin wrote:
> Hylafax is a good server. My major aggravation with hylafax has been in
> finding an easily installed and configured GUI client for it for
> Windows. I haven't looked into GUI clients for it that work in Linux
> systems, because I haven't had any particular need to do so, but the
> kind of hoops I've had to jump through in the past to get GUI hylafax
> clients set up on Windows machines . . . well, it's just not reasonable.

I highly recommend Cypheus (www.cypheus.de). It connects directly to
Hylafax, supports a mysql backend for a global address book. Supports
just about ever feature in hylafax. My only gripe about it is that it's
fax cover sheet templates are a bit weak, but then again, I just wrap
some perl in the hylafax send que and that solved it.

It's free to use for personal use / non-profit, but registration is
fairly cheap. Something like $35 per seat and quantity discounts.

> The server itself is mostly a no-brainer. Some of the initial
> configuration decisions that need to be made are not instantly
> self-evident, but they're not difficult to figure out (just make sure
> you don't start the telephone number with a plus sign, regardless of how
> the configuration script phrases its question). Let me know if you
> figure out a simple, easy solution for graphical clients, though.

I'd like to hear more about why you chose to run dovecot over courier or
cyrus. I'm running courier-imapd and have had narry a problem with it.
Easy to setup imaps and pop3s.

Austin

--
Austin Theen, Freelance Network Engineer      High Gear Solutions
Linux  | Windows  | Mac OS/X  | Networks  | Internet  | Databases