Re: [SLUG] My old flame...

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 15:27:00 EST

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:19:03 -0500, Amy Harms <cdragonne@mindspring.com> wrote:
> As someone who is new to this list, I can't agree with you more. I have had
> more problems with people either in IM sessions or emails due to
> miscommunication and misunderstanding. Unless you are an extremely good
> writer in which people can feel your emotions through the written word,
> there are going to be misunderstandings. Such is the way with human beings
> everywhere.

Such is why emoticons are such useful thingies. :-)

Of course, then some people tend to over-use them, and they become useless.

After six or seven years with textual talk being a primary form of
communication,
one develops talent for reading people base on their word choice and
such. Still emoticons help, of course. And it tends to cause one to
talk to people that AOL speak as if they were invalids... But
anyway...

Sometimes, I've noticed, it helps to speak things out loud. I learned
this in poetry class, and it actually works pretty well, especially
with people you know directly.