[SLUG] RE: OT: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 16:44:25 EST

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 15:27, Ken Elliott wrote:
> This all started because Red Hat posted what appears to be inaccurate
> information about the minimum amount of RAM required. Now, it is better
> policy to err on the high side, but the information did come from the
> vendor. Statements were made that you could actually use less.

About 40% of desktops sold today are UMA/chipset-integrated video. Red
Hat also bases its estimate on the existance of 0 swap. So the
resulting numbers are not errors, purposely over-exagerated requirements
because of this.

Red Hat has always over-estimated requirements. This is large because,
prior to Fedora Core 2, they were based on _run-time_ requirements for
KDE/GNOME (GUI), or common terminal usage with 0 swap. Again, Red Hat
really over-estimates big-time.

It goes to their entire logic, which becomes fairly noticable if you
work with their products. They'd rather be right 99.9% of the time than
be wrong more than 0.01% of the time. Especially given the scrutiny
they are held to in comparison to Novell/SuSE, etc...

There are plenty of examples of things where the _only_ distro not
having an issue is Fedora. The details surrounding kernel 2.6.8.1+ and
cdrecord are a perfect example -- but you don't see Fedora people out
screaming about Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, etc...

> That's good news, if accurate. I certainly don't know. But it's up to
> the person who asked for the information to find out if _he_ can make
> _his_ system work. That's all that really matters.

Agreed.

> My history with Red Hat is poor - lots of installation problems.
> Other distros have worked much better on _my_ hardware with _me_ doing
> the install. But that is no indication of the quality of Red Hat.
> It's just one statistic.

Agreed.

>From all of the statements I've seen on Red Hat as of late, Mandrake,
SuSE and many other distros have the same problems (e.g., kernel 2.6
issues, not Red Hat/Anaconda issues).

Fedora has vastly improved a lot of considerations. But every version
will have issues -- especially a ".0" release like Fedora Core 2. Just
like Mandrake Linux 10.0, SuSE Linux 9.1, etc...

> It really doesn't matter if knowledge is obtained first, second or 67th
> hand. What matters is the accuracy. Inaccurate knowledge gained first hand
> is still of little or no value. Accurate information is of value, no matter
> how it is obtained. To restrict information on the basis of degree of
> separation strikes me as poor policy.

In general, 2nd/3rd hand knowledge tends to be more inaccurate than 1st
hand.

And if I have to make a generalization, and please excuse this,
"everyone has an opinion on Red Hat." About 80% of the time I see
someone talk about a "Red Hat-only issue," I can find the same issue
with a number of distros that are not Red Hat-based at all.

Every single complaint I saw of Fedora Core 2 were kernel 2.6 issues,
not Fedora Core 2-only issues.

> I suggest we continue to offer our information, opinion and speculations,
> and recognize that those who are better informed are doing a service
> by providing "error correction". If we remove our egos, then we have
> a healthy information sharing system.

Agreed.

> There are very few rules here. Most of us have no right to make demands of
> others. We are in this for the common good. Shouldn't we treat it as such?

Agreed.

I merely offer my observations and opinion, and point out examples when
they occur. Someone shouldn't take offense if I point out a very good
example when it does, indeed, occur -- let alone be accused of stirring
"tangents" when I see others do quite the same.

If there is one thing, I'm not a hypocrite. I have enough that I'm
guilty of. I just find those who are just as guilty seem to complain
the loudest.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                    b.j.smith@ieee.org
Subtotal Cost of Ownership (SCO) for Windows being less than Linux