RE: [SLUG] Re: OT: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 15:27:08 EST

A few thoughts:

I think we can all agree that e-mail doesn't convey some thoughts very well,
and some things come across the wrong way. Perhaps we should allow emotions
to settle before responding.

All of us tend to step on one another's toes (top vs. bottom posters,
subject line editing, certain comments). I have found myself jumping in and
pounding on some subject, when it was actually just a release of emotion
pent-up from some other area (frustration at work, politics, relationships).
I believe many of us do this and the smart thing would be for us to let it
go. This can be difficult when we "push buttons" and trigger emotional

This all started because Red Hat posted what appears to be inaccurate
information about the minimum amount of RAM required. Now, it is better
policy to err on the high side, but the information did come from the
vendor. Statements were made that you could actually use less. That's good
news, if accurate. I certainly don't know. But it's up to the person who
asked for the information to find out if _he_ can make _his_ system work.
That's all that really matters. My history with Red Hat is poor - lots of
installation problems. Other distros have worked much better on _my_
hardware with _me_ doing the install. But that is no indication of the
quality of Red Hat. It's just one statistic.

It really doesn't matter if knowledge is obtained first, second or 67th
hand. What matters is the accuracy. Inaccurate knowledge gained first hand
is still of little or no value. Accurate information is of value, no matter
how it is obtained. To restrict information on the basis of degree of
separation strikes me as poor policy. I suggest we continue to offer our
information, opinion and speculations, and recognize that those who are
better informed are doing a service by providing "error correction". If we
remove our egos, then we have a healthy information sharing system.

There are very few rules here. Most of us have no right to make demands of
others. We are in this for the common good. Shouldn't we treat it as such?

Ken Elliott