Re: [SLUG] Re: OT: picked up a screw around rig today

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 01:16:53 EST

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 03:27:08PM -0500, Ken Elliott wrote:

<snip>

> There are very few rules here. Most of us have no right to make demands of
> others. We are in this for the common good. Shouldn't we treat it as such?

Let me weigh in a final time on this thread.

First, let me apologize to the new people to the list who find this sort
of discourse distasteful. We do, too. In fact, it is against our list
rules.

Now, for those involved who chose to perpetuate this flamewar/thread.
I've communicated privately to one of the participants, who apologized.
It has been brought to my attention that attendees at a recent meeting
suggested the possibility of uns*bscr*bing people. As a result, one of
the officers initiated a private discussion among the officers regarding
what to do about this situation. This is the _second_ time that the
officers have had to spend time recently discussing what to do about
flamers on the list.

Let me reiterate: flaming on this list is not permitted.

I really don't care who was right or wrong about what part of any
discussion. I really don't care who thinks who is a jerk. I don't care
who gets the last word. I don't care about your pride or your
reputation. I don't even much care if your technical advice isn't all
that good. I really only care about whether you can act like an adult on
this list. If you can't offer something constructive, don't respond. If
you think someone's a jerk, block their emails in your email client. We
can tell you how. If you know that saying something will cause someone
else to boil over, don't say it.

Imagine calling IBM, Dell or HP tech support, and having to listen to
your tech support person endlessly berate the person in the next
cubicle. People come to this list for tech support, not to listen to you
whine and posture and bicker. Newbies are likely to immediately
uns*bscr*be after getting on the list, if this is what they first
encounter. Is that what you want?

Please don't force the list admins to start uns*bscr*bing people.
Curtail the flaming and act like adults.

Paul M. Foster
President
Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG)