[SLUG] Re: I don't run Debian because it is a 14 CD "kitchen sink" distro ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 12:05:51 EST

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:49, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I.e., no one but Red Hat is putting in the effort. Sad.

Just to address a prior comment.

Understand that Red Hat did _not_ spin the Fedora Core 1 release for
x86-64. It was done _independent_ of Red Hat -- I believe by a guy over
on the NTLUG list. I'll go back through the archives to check.

I don't think Red Hat got "serious" about a community x86-64 release
until Fedora Core 2, the next ".0" rev which would lead to RHEL 4. I'm
sure the added development energy to modify RPM and YUM was part of the
reason.

Fedora Core 3 seems to have the infrastructure required. Red Hat and
the Fedora volunteers have sure put in the dilligence now. But the rest
of the Fedora Project is lagging. It's not the brightest spot for
Fedora, I'll readily admit.

DPKG/APT is far more mature in its support of x86-64, no question. Add
in the available packages in the repositories and Debian is a solid
choice for x86-64.

In fact, SuSE really lead a lot of the integration for x86-64 into GCC
and its distros, while Red Hat had done much of IA-64 prior. Of course
GCC is still primarily a Red Hat staff endeavor, at least paid developer
wise, so they were involved. RHL8/9/FC1 as well as RHEL 3 are GCC 3.2+,
which is considered the "first viable" GCC for x86-64 (and 3.3 is
probably a bit more refined).

But, again, from the distribution end, Red Hat didn't really get into
x86-64 community release until Fedora Core 2. And that was then based
on "lessons learned" from independent work on Fedora Core 1. Sure Red
Hat had its RHEL 3 releases for x86-64, but things like lib v. lib64 and
APT/YUM issues were not at the forefront for RHEL like they are for
Fedora Core.

But now that's changed. x86-64 is a major focus for Fedora Core. I
just sure wish the rest of the community caught up as well. Sigh, I
need to get a x86-64 system here at home.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of