RE: [SLUG] RE: List Chaos.

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 22:56:56 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 18:53, Ken Elliott wrote:
> I think you made an example of yourself.

Of course. But this is nothing new to me.

> I'd suggest you save those messages and re-read them some day. Perhaps
> you will discover something about yourself.

I know myself. I know my issues with e-mail.

> That makes you a bully, not "bullish".

Same difference, correct.

> Yes. This was not a technical discussion as you want to believe. Chad has
> every right to make his statements.

He has every _right_ to make them, yes.
Are they based on experience, no.
Hence the problem.

_Everyone_ has an opinion on Fedora, even if they've never used it.

> You have the right to disagree and say so. But it seems to me that
> you went on the attack and tried to punish him. In your words:

Considering the "return volleys," I don't feel the "attack" was only
1-way. I'm _not_ using that to excuse _my_ approach, but I'm just
saying that you can't begin to discuss me without the other. ;->

You will _rarely_ see me attack people's posting habits, approach,
non-technical content or other detail. My focus is on the technical
specifics. Most of the time, it's "enthusiasts" who define their "like"
of something out of a "hate" of another.

Because it's self-defeating -- even if the "hate" is against Microsoft.

> You made a number of highly inaccurate "Nth hand" statements about CAD,
> while posing as a CAD expert. It left me with you conclusion that you don't
> know what you are talking about. I did try to offer carefully worded
> corrections, taking great care not to offend. So before you start trying to
> make an example of people, you better realize the same could be done of you.

And I _agreed_ you were the more informed gentleman.
And I _thanked_ you for my ignorance/assumptions on many matters.
If I am indeed wrong, I admit it, and get over it.

BTW, I didn't call myself a "CAD expert." But I _do_ have a lot of CAD
experience. Unfortunately, my AutoCAD experience is limited in the last
5 years, so you _are_ a far better person to discuss such things.

> Admitting your behavior with out offering an apology is interesting.

I apologies several times to people, largely off-list, but even once on.
But I've ended up over-apologizing before, and it only comes back to
haunt me.

Especially when people do not admit they were not talking from a
position of any objectivity. Objectivity requires knowledge of a
product, not assumptions.

Again, _everyone_ has an opinion on Fedora, even if they've never used
it.

> But if you intend to bully people, I'd suggest you leave. The value of any
> technical information you offer is overshadowed by your behavior.

I will "bully" people if they simply don't accept the fact that they
don't have any experience to keep making statements on something that
simply are _not_ true.

I will _admit_ when I am wrong. I did in the _very_ case you
described. If people would admit their mistakes and move on, the world
would be a far more productive place.

I'm not looking to "discredit someone" individually, only when they talk
about something from *0* experience _and_ the statements are poor
assumptions do I try to ask them to stop commenting on them.

> Fellows, I'm sorry I replied to this. I'll stop now and will no longer
> wish, but if you want me to read it, you'll have to contact me off-list.

Whatever logic you feel is appropriate.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of