Re: [SLUG] PCI-Express now seems to be the price/performance mainstay for Linux

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 03:57:43 EST

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 09:43, Levi Bard wrote:
> I recommend an nvidia card, maybe an fx5700 or thereabouts. ("not so
> expensive range" is always subjective...)

While the original GeForce FX5700 is fairly on-par with the GeForce 4
Ti4200 at older titles, and possibly better at newer ones, the "cheap"
GeForce FX5700"LE" that _dominates_ the retail shelves and mail order
alike _stinks_ compared to the older GeForce 4 Ti4200 at _most_ things.

And if you go down to a FX5500 or 5200, then it really _sucks_.

That's why I called the NV3x series "Not so good bang for the buck."

> Three reasons:
> 1) Right now for good, high-end, accelerated opengl support on linux,
> you have basically two choices: ATI and NVidia
> 2) ATI has a very shaky history with linux support, and currently
> provides NO 64bit drivers
> 3) NVidia provides both 32bit and 64bit drivers for linux, and their
> drivers also work well for running 32bit apps(say, a commercial game
> like Neverwinter Nights or Doom3) in a 64bit environment(say,
> debian-pure64 ;)

That was part of my original assumptions for dismissing ATI for now.
That's why I focused entirely on nVidia offerings.

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of