[SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 22:27:13 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 21:50, John wrote:
> Ummmm, some people might interpret your words...
> " If you want to "pay" for a distro, the $89 Deluxe Edition is currently
> my #1 recommendation for those coming from Windows."
> .... as more than "relaying", especially coming from
> "Mr-don't-talk-about-something-that-you-haven't-tried".

Dude, could be _more_argumentative_?!?!?!

First off, I don't have teleportation or other powers.
Xandros Desktop 3 _just_ came out like yesterday.
I'm trying to grab the OCE version as we speak.

I have used and setup others with Desktop 2, which is Debian
Sarge-based. Desktop 3 is a newer version based on more stable Debian
Sarge (i.e., closer to Sarge aka Debian 3.1 release).

> But seriously, I'm glad you're flexible on that concept of people
> posting on subjects that they might not have first-hand experience
> with. That recent debate didn't make much sense, but I won't go into
> it.;-)

Again, argumentative. I'm talking at least _recent_ versions -- like 1
version back, but still based on the _exact_same_ Debian release (only
more stable). Other people are comparing Fedora Core based on RHL
versions that are 4-5 versions _back_ -- let alone 2 _major_ ABI
changes, and many are pre-UP2DATE/APT/YUM.

There is a _huge_ difference between other people talking about
comparing 4-5 revisions back (with _major_ version/base changes) and
myself talking about 1 revision (with _no_ base changes in the new
revision).

Xandros Desktop 2 "Deluxe" offers most of the interface and other
features that Windows users will like. It's Debian Sarge-based and a
very reliable KDE distribution, even in the "OCE" flavor.

Xandros Desktop 3 is, again, the _same_ Debian Sarge base, only more
stable. One should consider it really a ".1" revision of what 2 ".0"
was. I track the distros I _do_ use _and_ very carefully.

So your comments now bounce off me as entirely argumentative and nothing
else. ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of