[SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: Bryan J. Smith (b.j.smith@ieee.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 22:47:19 EST

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 21:50, John wrote:
> Did you happen to notice if it has support for any winmodem chipsets?

To make an ass-u-me'ption, you seem to equate the "quality" of a
distribution to its auto-detection of winmodems during installation.
That has 0 to do with the quality of a distribution itself, really.

But Xandros has an excellent track-record for software-hardware support.
They are based in Canada, and a bit more free on things. They are the
former Corel distro, and LindowsOS/Linspire is basically Xandros. ;->

> " If you want to "pay" for a distro, the $89 Deluxe Edition is currently
> my #1 recommendation for those coming from Windows."
> .... as more than "relaying", especially coming from
> "Mr-don't-talk-about-something-that-you-haven't-tried".

Also, _where_ did I say I was talking specifically about the version 3?

   'If you want to "pay" for a distro, the $89 Deluxe Edition is
    currently my #1 recommendation for those coming from Windows.'

This is based on the acclaimed Desktop 2 "Deluxe," not just my words,
but many others. Both Xandros Desktop 2 _and_ 3 are Debian
Sarge-based, which is quite a mature release that will be Debian 3.1
shortly.

I figured one could put 2-and-2 together in the fact that a new version
just came out like yesterday, so it's a darn good chance that no mail
delivery could reach me yet -- let alone no good mirror is available (it
typically takes me 3-7 days after a release to get a public mirror for
Xandros OCE, just like Fedora Core).

If Xandros Desktop 3 was a "radical" departure from Desktop 2, I would
have noted this. But it was entirely a "minor revision" at the core,
with other, key features. So I would trust it entirely. But no, I
haven't personally used the _explicit_ version -- just like many people
may have not used _all_ updates for a distro for the last 2-3 months
(because they haven't been on the system).

When Fedora Core 3 came out, it was the same, a "revision" of Fedora
Core 2. But when Fedora Core 2 came out, I _explicitly_ stated that
people _should_ stick with Fedora Core 1 and _not_ upgrade unless they
expected to have issues. Because it was a radical departure.

I can do this because I stay very informed with the distributions I
know, right down to the release model. Because I am _never_ more than 1
revision behind -- typically less than a month after release in a "minor
revision." But I'll typically be 3-4 months in a "radical" change.

Although I spend much of both my day and non-day writing career
installing Linux, it is largely Fedora/RHEL, or Gentoo for custom-app
roll-out work. But I make it a point to "keep up" with what I find is
the best distribution for those moving from Windows, and that's where
most of my spare time goes.

And that means Xandros on a spare weekend or, typically more so, at the
or others places I've never been prior. Should I ever find my way to
Tampa, you might be surprised how much "personal help" I give.

Even my worst critics (and even the few people who have publicly
declared me as their "enemy") ask me for my personal help when they need
it. ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith                                 b.j.smith@ieee.org
Beware of advocates who justify their preference not in terms of