Re: [SLUG] Re: Xandros Desktop OS Version 3 is out ...

From: John (nesredep@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 23:17:02 EST

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:47:19 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 21:50, John wrote:
> > Did you happen to notice if it has support for any winmodem chipsets?
>
> To make an ass-u-me'ption, you seem to equate the "quality" of a
> distribution to its auto-detection of winmodems during installation.
> That has 0 to do with the quality of a distribution itself, really.

Yes, you're making a BIG assumption. And you're very wrong. In fact,
and coincidentally, I've fighting with winmodem issues on another
distro recently, and since I happen to have a Xandros Deluxe V. 2
laying around, I was thinking of buying the upgrade.

> But Xandros has an excellent track-record for software-hardware support.
> They are based in Canada, and a bit more free on things. They are the
> former Corel distro, and LindowsOS/Linspire is basically Xandros.

I generally have extreme contempt for Corel, for their long history of
sputtering starts and failures in so many different markets. But many
months back, I thought I'd give their Linux a try. After all, they
did spin it off (to try to isolate it from the Corel curse, I
imagine). I did NOT have a good installation experience, and although
their tech support was very available, they weren't successful.

However, I better say no more, because in your previous discussions it
was never made clear exactly how much experience would make one
qualified to speak out about a distro. For example, yes, I did
install Xandros--even tried a couple of different machines. But, no,
I didn't use the system extensively. Also, it was quite a while ago,
so I don't know how much I remember.... Nope, I don't dare say more.

John